Vince Mrykalo's question Re: Aluminum Plates

Alexander Galembo galembo@psyc.queensu.ca
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:27:29 -0400

you're right, I have been, for many years, in charge of the Acoustical R&D
Lab of the Leningrad Musical Instrument Industrial Corporation that
included a huge piano factory producing about 900 uprights and 140 grands a
month. If you look at my web page (URL is given in my signature), you will
find  more details.

Alex

At 04:10 PM 7/21/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Alex,
>How did you do that?  Were you working for an R&D department?  If so, what
>manufacturer?
>
>At 08:51 AM 7/21/98 -0400, you wrote:
>>In seventies, we compared four vertical (120 cm high) instruments of the
>>same model, made using the same technology, with two cast iron and two
>>aluminum plates. The results were:
>>- Tuning changes of the  "Aluminum" instruments with temperature was about
>>2.5 times  larger than for the "cast iron" instruments (that simly follows
>>the difference in temperature coefficient for Aluminum and cast iron).
>>- After the temperature coming back to the norm, the "iron" instruments
>>return back to the initial tuning better than the "aluminum" instruments
>>- Basses were deeper and richer in the iron instruments
>>- In extreme treble, the color and the intensity of the hammer-string
>>"knock" were sistematically different for different material of the frames.

Alexander Galembo, Ph. D.
Acoustics lab, Dept. of Psychology, Queen's University
Kingston ON  K7L3N6
Canada

Tel. (613) 5456000, ext. 5754
Fax (613) 5452499