Hantavirus

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 15:51:29 -0400

Stephen has addressed possible cause(s). I'd like to extend the second part of
your post -- the whatever part.

I have yet to find definitive information as to what works and what doesn't in
terms of removal and human protection. I read where a certain mask is
recommended, then later find the information is invalid. Likewise for using
this or that solution to 'treat' the area, then that information is retracted.
The only solid information I've found is that we should (understandably)
refrain from using vacuum cleaners. That doesn't address the
solvent/cleaner/disenfectant, or the correct mask, gloves or other issues.

Is there a source for accurate information? I don't mind building up a kit,
but
I'd prefer having the correct contents.

-jh-

At 09:15 AM 7/22/98 -0600, you wrote (in part):
>It's puzzling why this virus is now present. Some of us have been shoveling
mice droppings from pianos for over 40 years with no problem. What is the
factor?

>Guess it's time to get with the program and acquire some masks and
whatever to
use when cleaning pianos.

>Sy Zabrocki--Billing, Montana

Jim Harvey, RPT