stuck

NBWW@aol.com NBWW@aol.com
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 21:33:04 EDT

Ed

The dimensions included were arrived at through trial and error. At these
dimensions the action seems to play the best. I did not have accurate
measuring tools along to check spread, although the existing dimensions are
suspect and should be measured. The shanks were replaced with renners which
were carefully checked before installation-perfect match. Hammers were renners
too. Beautiful! Tails were shaped with a 3" radius and extend 1" below shanks.
I've used these dimensions for years and have had excellent results. The back
checks were bent to several different angles attempting to alliviate the
trouble. Nothing worked.  They are down as far as they will go. On the last
grand I did that had this problem, I increased the bore distance 1/8". problem
solved. Action regulated and played well. This wasn't done this time. I regret
not doing it. The bump from the hammer is only slight and many times not felt,
but it is still present and shouldn't be there. BTW the Renner hammers only
needed slight sanding and squaring to clean them up. No additional voicing
needed.
I'm interested in learning more about Stanwoods action metrology ( I've his
ptgj article) and want to find out more. I have several customers with great
sounding pianos but heavy touch that is too much for them. The renner turbo
springs and reweighing the actions could bethe answer. Does Dave have a
publication on the procedure he uses? Any other  info available?

Paul Chick RPT