'Grey Market' Yamahas- again

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@nau.edu
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 08:49:30 -0700

John Woodrow wrote:

> The other aspect that is always raised is the 'seasoned for
> destination' marketing claim of Yamaha. I live in a fairly high
> humidity zone and these piano do not appear to have any unusual
> problem. Has anyone experienced poor stability in these imported
> pianos? If so, was this above what you would normally expect from
> moving any piano from a high to lower humidity zone.

While I am not personally experienced with these imported "used
institutional" pianos, it is my understanding, (from hearing this topic
again and again), that these pianos were "seasoned" during construcion
for the humid climate of the eastern pacific rim, specifically Japan and
surounding Islands. This, of course, is compounded with the fact that
they have lived in this climate for twenty years or more. The issue
seems to be that when these instruments are brought to the much drier
and seasonally varying U.S. climates, (perhaps with the exception of
southern Florida or other notorious humid climates), that they literally
begin to fall apart within a relatively short time. Specifically, the
pin block becomes loose/delaminated, the soundboard begins cracking and
falling apart, and the bridges crack and cause the pins to become loose.
This of course is in addition to worn action components.

It occures to me that so long as the rim is well in tack, these pianos
should be purchased only under the assumption that they will require a
complete rebuilding upon arrival, including a new block, board, and
bridge cap. Under this accepted understanding, the most logical choice
would be to purchase the worst of the lot being offered rather than the
best, thus being less expensive and more profitable in the end.

Rob Goodale, RPT