Hantavirus

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 10:00:08 -0400

----------
> From: John R Fortiner <pianoserv440@juno.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Hantavirus
> Date: Thursday, July 23, 1998 1:16 AM
>
> Biggest problem with the hantav. is that it is really easy to kill when
> outside of a body ( your's or mine), but very difficult to knock out once
> you have it.  Killing agents for contaminated areas: Lysol, Pinesol, IPA
> ( isopropyl alcohol ) and cheapest of all, but not available 24 hours a
> day 30 minutes of direct sunlight.

Question:  would a source of strong ultra-violet light aimed at the mess be
sufficient to kill the virus before proceeding to sweeping it up?  If
someone were to rig up a light fixture with a mercury vapor (streetlamp)
bulb, how long will it take kill off the virus?  (I'm not suggesting that
you stay in the room while it is on...)

Z! Reinhardt RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net