Advertising

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 07:51:44 -0400

Dear Rob,

Since I don't know your area I guess I would say first consider all the
options, then choose the one you like best.  What works in my area may
fail totally in yours.  What you need to do is get your name out there.

It appears that there is no way a clientele can be rapidly built,
although some things will definitely help.  It just takes some time.
Other than the yellow pages, I no longer advertise, but I tried several
things when I went fulltime six years ago.  I devoted a sizable portion
of my budget to advertising month after month, year after year.

The best advice I can give is to get the "Business Resource Manual" from
PTG and "Piano Marketing Essentials" from National Piano Foundation
(4020 McEwen, Suite 105, Dallas, TX 75244, telephone 972-233-9107, ext.
204).

What worked best for me was a coupon.  I had it printed on both sides
and mailed five or so to each of my current clients along with a cover
letter.  The coupon gave a substantial discount to the new client on the
first tuning, plus a referral discount to my current client who passed
it on.  Post me privately if you want to try this, but you have to have
at least some customer base for it to work.  That was several years ago,
and I still get one back now and then.

The least successful?  Using one of those companies that sends a handful
of coupons from various businesses in one envelope.  Way too expensive,
and I never approached getting my money back.

As you probably know, good people skills (and professional skills, too,
of course) is vital.  Although I've never done a study on this, my guess
is that 80-90% of my new business comes from referrals.  Hope something
in this post is helpful.

Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA