'Grey Market' Yamahas- again

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 23:12:15 -0600

>SEASONED FOR DESTINATION
>>>
>I've heard both positions stated by folks working for Yamaha. Yes, certain
>pianos are "seasoned for their destination." No, all pianos are built on
>the same line. Take your pick. - Del Fandich
><<
>
>There appears to be no consensus or evidence that Yamaha do 'season for
>destination' as claimed.  Perhaps this is the reason this point is gone
>over and over again.  Question: why don't Yamaha, who must be aware of the
>debate on this issue, come out and demonstrate or document the different
>manufacturing processes involved and kill this debate once and for all?
>Their credibility must suffer while the debate on this topic drags
>endlessly on.  For this reason I remain skeptical.
>
>Is there anyone who can answer this question?

Greetings John,
                Here in Canada the chief engineeer for the Yamaha Corp in
Japan has written an un ambiguous letter out lining the companies position.
  The most stringent drying down of lumber is used for North American
shipments, however in certain regions, due to excess humidity, industrial
polution, termites ect. alternate materials can be a superior product in
the construction of certain components, in these different regions.  It is
the companies policy to try and produce the finest product possible, yet
they are flexible enough, to know how to compete in various global markets.
Lets face reality the North American market is the the largest consumer
market in the world. Why would'nt a global competitor like Yamaha gear up
to compete.  Another reality is that North America does not have a serious
competitor on the world stage.
  Before some starts to scream what about Steinway. All of the ones that I
have seen in Europe and the far east came from the Hamburg plant. A German
or an American piano?????

>While the above statement covered the mood of many contributors, no one
>reported actual experience of recurring structural problems with 'grey
>market' pianos.

  I posted some observations in January about 3 grands that I had
purchased, so say they were A plus quality, what ever that is supposed to
mean. in real terms I would not place a two warranty on any of these units.
The strings were so rusty from the ravages of industrial pollution, and the
tuning pin torque dropped to below any reasonable acceptable level. Like
any piano that has had 20 years plus of institutional service, they are
ready for rebuilding. These pianos will NOT stand up for very long in the
central region of this Continent.

  We have chosen to rebuild all three units after keeping them for a winter
to expose them to low humidity conditions. However the principle problem is
the less than honest dealers, and I might add Technicians, that are selling
these units with out fully disclosing the truth, or worst yet deliberately
mis leading the consumer.

  I have no doubt that these units will be a great buy in Florida, but
there is a long trail of sorrowfull customers here in Saskatchewan.

Regaards Roger

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina