laminated bridge question

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:31:28 -0500 (CDT)

At 09:53 AM 7/27/98 EDT, you wrote:
>John writes:
>>Hide glue:
>>Are we going to get stuck on beating this dead horse again?
>
>   That is where the glue comes from, no?
>    Actually,  I am in Steve's camp on this one.  There is virtually nothing
>on a piano that I don't use hide glue for.  Pvc-E has replaced it for ivory
>work, and Resourcinol resin has replaced it for pinblock attachment to the
>case, but few others.
>    A side benefit is now that I am beginning to re-rebuild some of my work
>from the '70's,  all the non-durable parts are so easy to remove.  It makes
>working on the actions so easy.
>But yes,  the horse is well beaten, and I would imagine that only newcomers
>will be interested in how many ways glue can be approached.
>
>Regards,
>Ed Foote
>(as far as the bouquet of hide glue in the hot pot,  I am like the pig farmer
>telling his neighbors,"Hmm, it smells like money to me.....)

Hi Ed,

I haven't heard back from Steve yet, so I'll ask you the same question I
asked him. Can you bend a laminated tenor bridge with hot hide glue all by
yourself and have time to get it in the cauls and clamped before the glue
jells? That is, as Steve pointed out, what the thread is about. I asked for
suggestions for glues to do just that.

 Ron