laminated bridge question (private)

Wed, 29 Jul 1998 08:53:12 -0700

Stephen Birkett wrote:

> It is also a good adhesive which
> titebond is not.
>
> Nuf said (maybe)?

Stephen,

You were doing ok until these last two sentences. Are you now taking the position
that Titebond is not a good "adhesive?" And by extension that animal hide glue is
actually a better "adhesive?" The experience of millions of woodworkers and
billions of glue joints would probably (and justifiably) take exception to that
statement.

As you so eloquently -- and frequently! -- point out, animal hide glue does have
many fine qualities. Most of us recognize that. But, we also recognize that there
are other excellent choices. We don't choose to use animal hide glue for each and
every conceivable application because it is not always the most appropriate
adhesive for each and every conceivable application. It's not the only tool in our
bag of tricks; it's just one of them. There really are one or two other adhesives
available to the woodworker today that are easy to use, that form bonds that are
stronger than the wood they are holding together, that are flexible in their
application, that are reliable over time, etc. There are many different -- but
perfectly good -- adhesives that, for one reason or another, suit our needs in
certain applications better than does animal hide glue.

Regards,

Del