Perceived Worth

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 21:12:25 -0400

Z:

The one thing my clients mention the most is that they can count on me
to call them when the next tuning is due.

I have often pondered the "best service" thingy.  Let's set up a very
likely scenario.  A family buys a big old dead piano and moves it into
their home.  Then they call me.  I go out and charge them a couple
hundred to put the thing in "reasonable playing condition;" that is, all
the keys do something, broken parts are repaired or replaced, and it is
reasonably in tune even if it's flat.  Have I done the right thing or
not?

I get the feeling that some technicians would simply say something like,
"Sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but the piano is dead.  Here's
Larry Fine's book.  Get a better one.  That will be $30 (or whatever)".
Which way will the client be most satisfied, having just expended all
that energy to move that monster into the house?  I have yet to have
anyone express displeasure for my doing business this way.

Consider this:  Suppose I take a clunker car to the mechanic.
Everything is wrong with it except that it runs.  I want a tuneup and a
muffler.  Will I be happy with the mechanic if he refuses to do anything
because the car is shot and those two things will cost more than the car
is worth?  Probably not.  By the way, I HAVE condemned some pianos, but
I could probably count them on one hand.  I have also tried recently
asking gently,  "Have you ever considered getting a better piano?"  Once
the answer was yes; usually they don't look very happy with me.

Just in case anyone is thinking I therefore get to tune only junkers,
not true.  I get my fair share of Baldwin, Kawai, Steinway and Yamaha
grands, and a couple times each year I am told I am the best in the
area.  I don't argue, even though I feel otherwise.

I have the gut feeling I just opened a plastic bottle of centipedes.  I
request your forgiveness in advance.  Thanks!  :-)

Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA