Perceived Worth more

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 20:28:58 -0500

Hi Clyde,
On the other hand I have called some of my clients' pianos dead and they
have went out and bought new ones and were just waiting for an opinion of a
technician to make it official.  I try to impart to the piano owner that
regardless of how well a person plays they can't play any better than the
ability of the piano to do its' job.  It can hold you back if you are
better than it or it can keep you from getting better even with diligent
work.  Again the piano always has to be able to play better than the
player.
	Isn't it about time we declare these octogenarian pianos over the hill to
the boneyard.  Just my opinion.
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G. from St. Louis, MO. USA, Earth
Piano Service and Piano Peripherals
Creator of Hardwood PLTR's and Custom Piano Benches
pianoman@inlink.com         If I wake up in the morning, it WILL be a great
day!

----------
> From: Clyde Hollinger <cedel@redrose.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Perceived Worth
> Date: Wednesday, July 29, 1998 8:12 PM
>
> Z:
>
> The one thing my clients mention the most is that they can count on me
> to call them when the next tuning is due.
>
> I have often pondered the "best service" thingy.  Let's set up a very
> likely scenario.  A family buys a big old dead piano and moves it into
> their home.  Then they call me.  I go out and charge them a couple
> hundred to put the thing in "reasonable playing condition;" that is, all
> the keys do something, broken parts are repaired or replaced, and it is
> reasonably in tune even if it's flat.  Have I done the right thing or
> not?
>
> I get the feeling that some technicians would simply say something like,
> "Sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but the piano is dead.  Here's
> Larry Fine's book.  Get a better one.  That will be $30 (or whatever)".
> Which way will the client be most satisfied, having just expended all
> that energy to move that monster into the house?  I have yet to have
> anyone express displeasure for my doing business this way.
>
> Consider this:  Suppose I take a clunker car to the mechanic.
> Everything is wrong with it except that it runs.  I want a tuneup and a
> muffler.  Will I be happy with the mechanic if he refuses to do anything
> because the car is shot and those two things will cost more than the car
> is worth?  Probably not.  By the way, I HAVE condemned some pianos, but
> I could probably count them on one hand.  I have also tried recently
> asking gently,  "Have you ever considered getting a better piano?"  Once
> the answer was yes; usually they don't look very happy with me.
>
> Just in case anyone is thinking I therefore get to tune only junkers,
> not true.  I get my fair share of Baldwin, Kawai, Steinway and Yamaha
> grands, and a couple times each year I am told I am the best in the
> area.  I don't argue, even though I feel otherwise.
>
> I have the gut feeling I just opened a plastic bottle of centipedes.  I
> request your forgiveness in advance.  Thanks!  :-)
>
> Clyde Hollinger, RPT
> Lititz, PA
>
> Z! Reinhardt wrote:
> >
> > This brings up another interesting topic, that being Perceived Worth.
I'd