Music Wire

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 20:42:36 -0600

Hi Ed
      I was speaking in very rough general terms. and going from memory
which gets jaded at times, the point that I was trying to make, but not
clearly, was to exercise caution. I was also generalising by saying .001"
on equivalent gauge numbers, in the true sense this is not so. I kind of
thought the general question was can we substitute metric for imperial, and
the answer to that is clearly no, unless you are re scaling.
  I seem to get caught with my foot ( no pun intended) in my mouth when I
write in vague generalities.
Regards Roger

At 07:05 AM 29/07/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>Roger writes;
>> Using Roslau wire on a North American Piano designed for BS. SWG
>>will drop the overall string tension by 1000 to 1500lbs.
>
>      Using Roslau wire of the same diameters? or using the Roslau wire of
the
>same gauge number? 1000 to 1500 lbs  seems like a lot for the change.
(now, if
>you do go by gauge number, you will be .001" lighter  on all notes +- some
>conversion differences.  This I could see taking a lot of tension out).
>    And wouldn't it be necessary to mention size when describing the "North
>American Piano", Since there is considerable difference in tension between a
>Baldwin SD-10 and Steinway S.
>
>Regards,
>Ed Foote

Roger Jolly