5 Pianos to A-440

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 00:10:53 -0500

Call an aural tuner for assistance. You might not have enough time to
tune all 5 parallel unless you have tuned all of those pianos before. I
know , I know, how fast the machine is supposed to be, but it is the
checking of them that will take the time. Esp if the machine is already
giving descrepencies. I would think you would need five students just to
see how all five sound together in the end. And you can bet you then will
still want to tweek, but deciding which one, oh boy what a challange. For
such a grandeous concert, the producers should be tickled it took the
efforts of two tuners to pull it off.

How would this (5 pianos tuned parallel) be done??  Tune the "master
piano" and tune the remining ones to it? How then would the last four
sound to each other?   I once had to tune four pianos for a broad way
show, but they were never all played  at the same time, and there was no
way to compare them wo a second person, which the company didn't want to
pay for. (That's  how I learned no two were played at the same time)  Once
for my own curiosity I grabbed someone and finally got to see how the
pianos on stage compared to the one in the pit.  Closer than I expected.

R Moody