sticky stuff (was laminated bridge question)

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 18:29:40 -0500 (CDT)

>A little more bombastic prevarication or whatever: --------- Let's just
>step back to my innocent remark about the adhesive (i.e.  non-cohesive
>bonding) properties of hide glue vs aliphatic glue. This isn't really that
>mysterious...rub a blob of each between your fingers and you'll quickly
>reach the same conclusion as to which one gets really sticky. Fact is hide
>glue is great for sticking things together, like envelopes and stamps,
>leather and wood etc....that's all I meant. (Forget my subsequent
>speculation about wood joints if that bothers you.)

*Nobody said it was mysterious, just pointless. Well, maybe not entirely so.
OK Stephen, after all due consideration, I'll concede one. I have to admit
that hide glue sticks fingers together better than Titebond. If that's what
I needed done, I certainly wouldn't use  an even remotely yellow glue for
the job. If I wanted to make a sweet jiggly confection in different colors
and flavors, I would also have to admit that Titebond would be hopelessly
inappropriate. For sticking fingers together and making Jell-o, hide glue is
tops... or is it? Since the discussion has moved outside my sphere of
reasonable experience, I'll hand any further discussion of digital adhesion
properties over to the CA crowd for dispensation. Good luck.

>As for "me then" "me now", I don't recall ever posting any comments about
>gap-filling properties. Whether or not, I would never step back from an
>argument amongst myself. Two years ago I was still using urea...

*If I get around to it...

>"Useless" is, of course, inflammatory...bad choice, as one can usually
>make anything useful. However I can't say I've ever seen a strip of felt
>glued to wood with titebond succesfully. Maybe "successfully" is also a
>bad choice. Does anyone actually do this and prefer it to hide glue for
>the job?  And no, I would not use thin glue for adhesive bonding, like
>leather and felt...thicker glue with the wood surface sized.

*If you haven't seen it, it's because you haven't looked. By that criteria,
you probably don't believe you have shoulder blades (scapulae) either. You
really need to get out of the shop, away from the smell of that glue pot,
once in a while and see what technology has to offer. There are horseless
carriages now, moving pictures, flying machines, pizza, flush toilets, and
some pretty fine choices in glues out there. Snug up that four-in-hand and
follow the draft to the exit. There's a whole new world out there. Did I
mention pizza?

 Ron