Symphony program advertising

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 00:31:18 -0400

1. Look at the market, who will be attending these performances.
2. Why do some of these people not know you, already.
3. What impression do you want to impart (remember, the aptly
    phrased comment: "You only get one chance to make a first impression".
4. All of the above.

In my neck of the woods I select option 1.
The majority of these concerts are geared to summer tourists. Transients.
Unless I had marketable items for them to come in and purchase, my
expenditures would go for seeing my name in print.
Case in point, say you go to a concert/performance; you peruse the program;
does your mental note of the advertisers influence you in your future
purchases?

Conversely, stating in an ad that "I tuned the piano" would_NOT_have the same
effect as it being stated in small print at the bottom of the program.
(undersatatement)
The program_should _read: music, artists, piano (maybe), piano technician.
Last place? Why not, we're a humble sort.
Co-billing would be way out of line.
Our work should be sublime.

Our lot falls somewheres between setting up chairs and sound checks.
That's our place, and sometimes after sound checks.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)