Another question...

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 13:18:41 -0700

For removing old wood from ivories, try wet-or-dri sandpaper, about 120 grit, taped to a table, and kept wet with a spray bottle if needed.  Also there is a tungsten carbide sanding file available from Pianotek which works well.  (not wet).  I use  thumb and middle fingernails to keep the ivory  in place, and bear down with the index finger.  Works for me.  Sort of get a cheap manicure at the same time.  I'm just a low-tech sorta guy.
Steve
>>> "R. Goodale" <robert.goodale@nau.edu> 07/31/98 11:14AM >>>
Another question, I was wondering...

Could anyone suggest a way to remove wood from the bottom of ivory key
tops?
Over the last several years I have been removing and collecting ivory
from old junk pianos. I really have quite an impressive collection now,
numerous shades and easily enough to recover the keys on several pianos
or more. One problem, however, is that quite often some wood comes off
with the ivory when removed. I have tried all types of scraping,
sanding, grinding, what have you. This usually results in breaking the
key top or gouging it so that the bottom is no longer even. I'm afraid
of using any kind of chemical for fear that it will either warp or
otherwise damage the ivory. It would sure be nice to get all these keys
cleaned off so that they are usable. Ideas?

Rob Goodale, RPT