Rippen piano - plastic action

Bob Anderson fndango@azstarnet.com
Sun, 01 Mar 1998 08:21:50 -0700

I have a customer with a Rippen console piano with plastic action parts.
I tuned the piano in 1981. I tuned it a second time in 1991 and found
the jack centers to be so tight that the action was basically
unplayable. I tried Protek on one flange, but it made it slightly
tighter. I wanted to try a shrinking solution, but the customer has
never followed up on it until yesterday when she left a phone message to
the effect that she is moving and has to do something. I plan to propose
shrinking the bushings.

Does anyone have any experience with this action? I would appreciate any
other ideas. Back in 1991 I wanted to remove a wippen and hammer, but I
couldn't figure out how. The parts looked like they were "snap-in"
types, but I couldn't get them out. The bridle tapes were glued at both
ends.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, Az