Boston verticals

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Sun, 01 Mar 1998 10:29:25 -0700

At 09:11 AM 2/28/98 EST, Wim wrote:

>same production line, and that the only difference between the two was that
>Kawai uses graphite jacks, and the Boston uses wood jacks. I either don't

There are more differences than that, especially in the grands. One look at
the hammer flanges will tell you it isn't a Kawai action. The similarities
are mostly in the shared case parts, IMO.

There's also the matter of touch-weight. Kawais seem have a heavier touch
than Bostons. It's not unusual to see Kawais with T.W. in the high fifties
but I've NEVER seen a Boston that heavy.

>remember, or I he might not have told us, if Kawai retooled their production
>line to match the Boston, (and is being allowed to make Kawai's the same
way),
>or if Steinway came to Kawai, liked their design, and asked them to make

Steinway shopped around to see who could build the Bostons for them. Kawai
had the expertise and the willingness to do it.

>Bostons. The few times I have played a Boston, I could not hear or feel any
>difference with the Kawai.

I tune about a half-dozen Bostons a week. If you cannot hear the difference
you aren't listening... <g>   Bostons generally have a tighter sound, more
"growl" to the bass and a slightly longer sustain. Apprentices tell me
they're also more difficult to tune than a Kawai although I don't notice
that much difference.

I do find they take a little more initial prep work when they're new, but
nothing really extraordinary and certainly nothing like what has to be done
to their American "cousins".

			John

John Musselwhite, RPT  - Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com - http://www.cadvision.com/musselj/