Hammers

Mon, 02 Mar 1998 12:24:07 -0800

Keith McGavern wrote:

> >>...About the cold pressed vs.
> >> hot pressed hammers thing, I wouldn't be concerned.
>
> Please notice, Del, I never said there wasn't a difference.

That's true, you didn't. What you did say was, "About the cold pressed vs.hot pressed
hammers thing, I wouldn't be concerned." I just think there might be something to be
concerned about with the difference. At least enough to give some thought to.

> BTW: I recommended Steinway (which you did...heated cauls?...does that mean
> these would be considered hot pressed by your standards?)

I have not observed the process at Steinway of late. I have been told that their new
presses are heated and their hammers do exhibit some of the characteristics of hot press
hammers. Still they are generally a bit softer and more elastic than are hammers from, say
Renner or the current Abel hammers. I have used them and would not hesitate to put them on
an 1885 Steinway upright.

> Ari Isaacs, an
> excellent choice!  (..which seem to have at least some of the
> characteristics of cold pressed hammers?...does this also mean these would
> be hot pressed by your standards?)

Again, I have not actually observed the process, so I cannot state with certainty whether
Ari uses heat in his press or not. But, again, they are somewhat more elastic and less
dense than are either Renner or Abel hammers. I would also not hesitate to put these on an
1885 Steinway upright.

I am not opposed to "hot" hammer presses in and of themselves. In fact, I don't really
care how the hammers are pressed. I'm far more interested in the results. As I have said
(and written, both here and elsewhere) many times in the past, good hammers can be pressed
using heated presses. As most heated presses are actually used today, however, they do
tend to produce hammers that are excessively hard and dense. Certainly when compared to
the type of hammer that would have been used on an 1885 Steinway vertical. Using the
randomly selected supply house hammer might not give this piano its best chance at good
piano tone. I was simply suggesting those hammers that I felt would be the most
appropriate for Greg's specific application.

Regards,

Del