Verticle action questions

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 15:44:42 EST

<< Rebuilding an old upright, and have two questions regarding action:
 1) In ordering replacement hammer springs, how do I determine which size
 to order, APSCO lists 2 sizes, 1 3/4" (short tail) and 2" (long tail)?
 (And yes, I am replacing the butt spring punchings and spring rail
 cloth.)>>

Order the long (2") for a full size upright.

<< 2) Many of the action centers obviously need to be repinned and/or
 rebushed. How do you determine when to just re-pin vs. re-bush and
 re-pin?>>

In general, if you have to go with a pin greater than 21 1/2, the bushing is
worn enough to need replacement.  Sometimes only one side is worn because a
center pin had been coming out sideways.  In this case, you'll need to rebush
both sides.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin