Yamaha GH-1 Grand -Reply

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 15:31:15 -0800

The aforementioned rescale, as Bill reminds, is not a simple task to
accomplish.  Most GH1B buyers found the more recent design, with plain
wire in the tenor, to be "improved", some did not.  The kit, which is no
longer available, consisted of the wound strings used on the GH1, and
appropriate hitchpins, damper felts, and drill bits.  Demand fell off in the
intervening years, so we discontinued the "fix".  Many techs have made
acceptable improvement in the piano with voicing.  If these "fixes" are not
adequate, the  real issue is whether the customer has outgrown this
good, but basic instrument.  No GH1 will ever perform like a C1, nor is
there anything wrong with this fact.  The GH1B fills a niche for a good
quality piano for the non professional pianist, and cannot be made into a
professional instrument.   If you are intent on this solution to a perceived
problem, the tenor strings can be had from Schaff, the hitchpins from us
at Yamaha, and you are on your own for the drill bits, etc.
 Steve Pearson
Yamaha piano service

>>> Billbrpt <Billbrpt@aol.com> 03/02/98 01:04pm >>>

<< One of my customers has a Yamaha G1 that is always going out of
tune much
 more quickly at the break between the bass and treble.  Would the repair
 outlined above be of any help in improving the tuning stability in this
 section?

 Thanks!
 David >>

Yes, it would.  This however should not be undertaken lightly.  The views
from
some of the respondants that say the customer should have bought a
better
model need to be taken into consideration.  Your customer needs to
understand
that the scale design is what made this a less expensive piano.  If you
rescale the lowest octave of the tenor bridge, it should cost the the
customer
plenty.

Please read all of the posts regarding this before making a decision on
what
to offer your customer.  If nothing more, your customer can at least
understand why the instability is there and you can install a humidity
control
system to help it.  One of the 2 hotels I tune for that has a GH-1 is very
happy with their piano just as it is.  Both hotels have it tuned every month.
I have to say that one of the pianos in particular seems to have an
exceptionally appealing sound.  The pianist loves it.  I think it sounds great
too.

You may simply get that customer used to having the piano tuned more
often.
In any case, make the situation work for you, don't make the customer
feel
badly about the choice of piano.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin