Yamaha GH-1 Grand

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 23:58:11 EST

<< Bill,
 	I have to strongly agree with you on the last sentence of your post.
Although I don't see too many Yamaha pianos, I do see quite a few  Baldwins.
One of the earlier models, which I don't believe is still in  production, is
the B1. The scaling problem sounds very similar to the  problem with the GH-1.

    Thanks for your comment.  I have felt for quite some time now, since the
Aeolian factory went out of business that there really were no more really bad
pianos being built.  If a piano can still be tuned to pitch today and is
serviceable, it was reasonably well built and we as technicians should try to
work with them.  After all, that is how we make our livings, tuning AND
servicing pianos.  However, the piano you mentioned above has tested my
patience and tempted me to make an exception to my beliefs more than a few
times.  I, for one, am glad Baldwin stopped them and went on to a newly
designed Chickering.

    Still, there is a church (one of those with more than four words in its
name) that is one of my best customers.  They have it tuned every month.  I've
had to deal with the bass damper pedal dowel problem and a split bridge cap,
not to mention very critical hammer alignment if I didn't want the hammers
rubbing together.  I'll be so very glad when that church decides to buy even
so much as a Yamaha GH-1.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin