Petrof Inharmonicity

Mike Swendsen mike.swendsen@shaw.wave.ca
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 14:11:17 -0700

I know there has been a lot of talk about inharmonicity, it being higher or
lower than average, and quite frankly, I think that what is being listen to
is not the in harmonicity of the instruments is question.
If you listen to the tone of a S&S for instance it is quite complex ( read
many harmonics, and most of them towards the high end) and with a Petrof
those very high harmonics are not so prominent,  on the other hand the lower
harmonics are.  This gives the piano a very clean and clear sound, I have
heard some people say 'bright' but that isn't quite correct.  A Steinway or
a Mason and Hamlin are bright, I.e. there is a strong sense of  higher
harmonics.
It would be interesting to have someone with a good frequency analyzer test
these pianos, and show the results.
As far as the 'stretch' numbers on Petrofs go, they almost always fall
between 5.5 and 6.0
C. Mike Swendsen RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: Billbrpt <Billbrpt@aol.com>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Cc: cvandenhandel@aviall.com <cvandenhandel@aviall.com>
Date: Monday, March 02, 1998 9:56 PM
Subject: Petrof Inharmonicity

Dear List:

I received this question from an outside reader about inharmonicity in his
Petrof piano.  I think it would be best responded to by the List, especially
those who are in the manufacturing and rebuilding end.  I'll explain my
limitations in my response following the question.

<<Subj: Petrof Inharmonicity