warped key

Ken Hale, D C AL CODA kenhale@dcalcoda.com
Tue, 03 Mar 1998 16:07:52 -0800

At 05:14 PM 03/03/1998 -0500, you wrote:

Hi,

I have steamed and bent keys to straighten them.

They never come out like before, but with lots of trial and error (and some
sanding) they come out close enough to work well.

Bending a steamed piece of wood is always interesting because it is hard,
if not impossible, to tell how much to bend it. The key will have to be
"over bent" past where it will hopefully wind up, because it will spring
back.

I found the following worked OK: holding the key over a steam pot, rotating
it around in the general area where I had determined I wanted the bend to
take place until the wood was hot (not soaked with steam/water), making the
bend and adding any twist that might be necessary, holding that for a few
minutes and seeing how close it was, repeating until it was close enough,
waiting for a few days, checking the results, redoing the whole process.

I have tried using a vise and a weight, but found the free hand method
worked much better and is actually pretty quick.

It helps to have the two neighbor keys and the key frame in the shop.

Good luck,

>Problem:  one warped key on a Baldwin console.

>The key has a dog leg to the left. It has a key button on the underside. My
>initial thought is to lay the key on its side, with the bend up, and put a
>weight on the top of the bend, to allow it to straighten out. But I am not
>sure if this will work.
>
>Any other ideas?

Ken Hale, RPT
PianoDB, PianoDB95, PianoDB97