warped key

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 18:01:51 -0800 (PST)

At 05:14 PM 3/3/98 EST, you wrote:
>Problem:  one warped key on a Baldwin console.

>Now, 9 months later G1 is warped. It has a slight bend in it, and is rubbing
>against the F. (It is leaving the F# and G# alone.
>
>The key has a dog leg to the left. It has a key button on the underside. My
>initial thought is to lay the key on its side, with the bend up, and put a
>weight on the top of the bend, to allow it to straighten out. But I am not
>sure if this will work.
>
>Any other ideas?

Hi, Wim

I suppose it's warped too far just to sand down the part that's rubbing?

I wonder if your weight idea might work if you first steamed the concave
portion by using an iron and a wet cloth, and then put on the weight,
leaving it overnight.

I've steamed keys with a wet cloth and iron, and then bent them with a
crescent wrench, holding them in a vise. It seemed to work okay.

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"My life is already compicated enough, without trying to introduce
organization into it."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant