bone

dpitsch dpitsch@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 03 Mar 1998 23:40:10 -0700

Pianos are not the only keyboards to use bone.  Many organ builders turned to
bone
when ivory became too expensive or unavailable.  Yes it does wear out, just like
ivory
does.  The big advantage is that cows are depleted rather than elephants!

As to looks and feel, if I had not been told it was bone, I would have thought it
was ivory.
While on the topic, I understand than walrus tusks have been used as well.  Is
this true?