Young Chang

Mike Masters agraffes@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 04 Mar 1998 17:01:45 +0000

I have a customer with a new Young Chang G-150. (actually I have quite
a few customers with new YC grands) I tuned her piano (dealer warranty)
about 2 weeks ago. She called me last week and couldn't quite describe
the problem. I was there earlier this morning to investigate, and found
a problem that is common in most (if not all) YC grands (and other makes
as well). The sound is a ringing coming from the non-speaking lentgh
between the front duplex and the capo bar in the mid and high treble. I
can put my finger on the strings in this area and the *noise* stops for
that particular note. I know that some manufacturers will use a felt
strip or stringing braid woven through the strings to mute the noise in
the rear duplex, but I've never seen this done at the front. I have
never taken time (before today to find the cause, I always assumed it
was a characteristic of the YC piano that couldn't be fixed. Guess I was
wrong. I haven't talked to YC yet, but do plan to. I think I'm going to
go ahead and try stringing braid in this area, unless someone (Don
maybe?) has had any different experiences or ideas. Looking forward to
the advice of the list. Thanks in advance.

Mike Masters
Masters Piano Service
Lakewood, OH