Petrof Inharmonicity

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 08:03:26 -0500

Stephen,

Let me try to make my point more clear for you.  You are proposing that the
difference from zero inharmonicity to typical piano inharmonicity is a
factor in piano tone.  The flaw in your argument is that no piano operates
at zero inharmonicity.  Most modern pianos, high and low tension scales,
operate in pretty much the same envelope of inharmonicity.  In fact the
difference in inharmonicity from unison to unison in the same piano is of
the same order of magnitude as the difference in inharmonicity between
pianos with high and low inharmonicity scales.  Your Mac experiment is the
equivalent of turning the sound volume control from zero to max, noting the
change in the sound, then concluding that changes in volume affect pitch.

What do you have against guns and bullets?

And, by the way, if I were doing the experiment,  I would use my PC running
Windows to measure the inharmonicity of each unison and partials of each
unison for low and high tension scales, then I would vary the inharmonicity
for a given tone in the measured range for that tone and observe the
results.

Frank Weston