Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 16:11:31 -0600

----------
> From: Alexander Galembo <galembo@psyc.queensu.ca>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Date: Thursday, March 05, 1998 8:53 AM
>
> Hi,
>

> 1. I never heard wolftones in pianos, though they were mentioned in
> literature. How they sound? In what range? What a pitch they have?
Is there
> any publications describing them?
	> Alex

See Encyclopedia Britannica, "Temperament", "Music", "Greek Music"
Helmholtz, "On the Sensations of Tone"

You will not hear wolf tones in pianos that are tuned to Equal
Temperament, unless there is a mistake.  A wolf tone is a fifth that
is beating much more than the others.
If you want to hear a wolf tone from piano tuning, tune five perfect
fifths up from C and six perfect fifths down from C.  the  remaining
fifth B--Gb is the wolf, very much flat from pure, out of tune so
much that it has been described like the  howl of a wolf.
Hence "wolf tone"
This is a result of the  Comma of Pythagoras.

Richard Wolfman Moody