Hamburg strings sizes reply

Fri, 06 Mar 1998 19:29:02 -0800

pianoman wrote:

> Pray, tell, how does using the metric system alone result in more
> precision.  It is the person using the measuring system that makes for the
> accuracy.  Error can be made in metric as well as English.
> James Grebe
> R.P.T. of the P.T.G. from St. Louis, MO. USA, Earth
> pianoman@inlink.com
> "Sometimes it is really good to be pleasantly surprised without knowing
> what you did right."

---------------------------------

Neither system is, in and of itself, any more accurate than the other. However.
The metric system is inherently easier to use, especially in a computer and machine age.

I converted our shop to the metric system of measurement some years ago. I have no
regrets. The only problem we have had is when we have to deal with that part of the
outside (US) world that does not yet understand the logic and clarity of the system.
Measuring tools are sometimes harder to find. And, of course, converting is awkward. So,
for the most part, we don't convert. New workers are given about a 10 minute course in
understanding the metric measuring system and are shown how to use the vernier caliper.
That's about all that is required. Sometimes visiting technicians have a bit of a problem
visualizing the measurements we are talking about, but that is a problem easily solved by
loaning them a metric rule.

And, you're right. Errors can be made with either system. However, fewer measuring errors
are made now that we are dealing with those silly millimeters than were made with those
utterly ridiculous inches and fractions.

These days, stringing charts that come to me in fractions generally go back to the sender
unless I have a whole lot of free time on my hands.

Metrically yours,

Del

PS.  After enjoying the show "Guys & Dolls" tonight, we're all going to pop out for a pint
or two! I may like my scales in millimeters, but don't you dare mess with my beer!