Deagan

Fri, 06 Mar 1998 23:43:47 -0800

Keith,

What you're looking for is information re: Deagan's name for a
Vibra-Phone.

Early models used cold-rolled steel (as did their orchestra bells...
_not_ chimes, which were different).  Later ones moved to a fairly
heavy grade aluminum, which sounded better than it sounds...(sorry).

As time wore on (and, drummers got tired of carrying heavy stuff), lighter
and lighter grades of aluminum were used.  Not coincidentally, this
occurred around the time close-miking started to be used in the
studios, and real sound mattered less and less.  (It's simply amazing
how many folks were/are fooled by a little too much reverb.)

Anyway, the earlier ones were tuned more like the orchestral chimes
(not bells - think of glockenspiels, only flat, in a nice, black, wooden
case) - that is, little fundamental, mostly 3rd, 4th, and 7th partials - much
like church bells.  Between the tuning and the "hetrodyne"-like
effect of the rotating "fans" mounted at the top of the resonators tubes,
the effect was/is incredible.

_Old_ Red Norvo recordings...

best.

Horace

At 10:35 PM 3/6/1998 -0600, you wrote:
>List,
>
>Is this group still alive somewhere?  I am primarily interested in finding
>out more about the legacy of the Deagan Vibra-Harp.  Any info, fact or
>fiction, greatly appreciated.
>
>Keith A. McGavern
>kam544@ionet.net
>Registered Piano Technician