Baldwin 6000

Sat, 07 Mar 1998 01:08:21 -0800

Billbrpt wrote:

> To each his own but I have always thought that the deep, throaty, resonant
> bass of theis instrument makes it outstanding as one of the best verticals
> available on the market.  I have also thought that its large, boxy case made
> it unappealing to people who want something less imposing.

With most people this is a real love-it or hate-it sort of instrument. For some, obviously
including the designer, Harold Conklin, it really has an appealing sound. For others, its
sound is strident and strange. While I'm not particularly fond of it myself, I've always
felt that this was as much a factor of conditioning as anything else. In any case, viva la
difference! Or something like that.

>    I think it makes an excellent piano where a big sound is desired but there
> is not the floor space for a grand.  The scale design is very interesting.  It
> is the only piano I've ever seen with plain wire bichords on the bass bridge.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Bremmer RPT
> Madison, Wisconsin

I think that the plain wire bi-chords in the bass was an attempt to "fix" what the company
perceived to be a tone problem in the bass of the earlier pianos. While I was at Baldwin I
was also asked to "fix" this piano. I ended up leaving it alone. It is what it is. If
something else is wanted, start over and design a different piano -- or buy one.

Del