inch pounds RE: torque

John Stenstrom tubist1@erols.com
Sat, 07 Mar 1998 16:17:36 -0500

Jim, if I remember my physics, what you are asking for is the definition of
a "moment arm".  50 in/lbs is force, here expressed as rotational force
since it is defined as "torque".  What it means, is if you put a 1 inch arm
on the shaft, it will exert 50 pounds at the end.  Taking that a step
further, if the arm is 50 inches long it will exert 1 pound.

So - once you know the length of the arm, divide that into 50 to get the
effective weight at the end.  Then convert to grams: 1 pound = 453.59 grams.

Hope this helps.

John Stenstrom, Associate PTG, Richmond, VA