Voicing question

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 11:06:58 -0800 (PST)

At 10:58 AM 3/8/98 -0700, David wrote:
>In regards to your comment about the Damper Chaser under the soundboard
>being seperated from the action by the bellyrail.  Hogwash.  Water in the
>air is a vaper.  All vapers disperse to all parts of the room and home.  To
>think that the bellyrail would keep the extra humidity from affecting the
>hammers and action is just not consistent with how vapers react in an
>enviroment.
>Davd Pitsch
>

>Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
<snip> >> I'm assuming that this is a Dampp-Chaser humidistat you're
>>referring to here and surely it is isolated from the action and the
>>hammers by a belly rail and a keybed.

David seems to be implying that Dampp-chasers work by decreasing
the humidity in the whole room, and a simple experiment can
disprove this. Put a digital humidity-and-temperature gauge on
top of the piano, or in the keybed area, and take a reading. Then
place the humidity gauge on top of a backpost, and take another
reading.

When I did this on a Steinway L near the coast, my readings were:
70º F, 60% RH on top of the piano; 77º F, 51% RH on top of the
backpost.

It's true that vapors try to disperse evenly throughout a container,
_but they take time to do so_, just as heat does. We should be
glad of this: all sorts of things which we take for granted would
be seriously awry if this were not so. For instance, wearing
a toque and muffler wouldn't help our Canadian friends to stay warm.

Sincerely,

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"I don't want to go hunting for knowledge: I want it to come and grab me."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant