Dampp-Chaser threads

atonal@planet.eon.net atonal@planet.eon.net
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 20:17:55 +0000

> atonal@planet.eon.net (Rob Kiddell) wrote:
> > Tuning pin tension remains fairly stable ie: tight, but I
> > don't attribute this to the Dampp-Chaser. I've worked with
> > enough Dampp-Chasers to know this isn't one of their attributes.
>
> I sure find they make a difference in tuning pin torque in uprights.  And
> D-C's new promotional video makes that claim unequivocally.
>
> Tim Keenan

Hi Tim,

	What kinds of pianos (new or used) and what types of conditions have
you seen improvements in? I've installed Dampp-Chaser 5PS systems
in brand new Baldwins (tight tight tight pins!) and newer Yamahas
(not as tight, but smooth), as well as Wurlitzers, Petrofs, and some
large, re-pinned turn-of-the-century rebuilt pianos (original
soundboards). I also routinely tune and maintain similar pianos,
newer and older, without Dampp-Chasers installed. I've yet to
attribute increases in tuning pin torque to installation of the
Dampp-Chaser. I don't find the DC equipped instruments 'tighter'
overall, I find variances in tension between similar pianos,
humidifier system or no.   Here in Edmonton, we are a fairly dry
prairie climate, and new instruments tend to lose moisture quickly.
Tuning, regulation, and tuning pin tension are all at the mercy of
the dry climate.  Changes in tuning pin tension tend to happen
quickly, if at all. Yet I stand by my original statement:  based on
my experience installing and maintaining pianos and Dampp-Chasers,
they work extremely well on soundboard stability, and little, if at
all, on anything else. At least in this climate, anyway.  BIG NOTE:
I'm not discounting other points of view here, I'm keen to hear
what others are doing regarding DC installation and
maintainence.....maybe I'm missing something?!?!

Regards,

Rob Kiddell,
Registered Piano Technician, PTG
atonal@planet.eon.net