Hammers

Greg Newell gnewell@EN.COM
Sun, 08 Mar 98 23:09:00

On Sun, 8 Mar 1998 17:53:45 -0500, ralph m martin wrote:

>Hi Greg
>I use Ronsen for all vintage pianos. While, as Del states, there are
>inconsistencies from set to set; I find that only the amount of juicing
>varies.
>
>When juicing, I find that one has to be a bit daring. Apply to shoulders
>the first shot and let fluid wick down to underfelt, being careful to
>keep it away from crown surface if you can. Good luck!!
>
>regards
>Ralph Martin
>
>On Sat, 07 Mar 98 19:35:58  "Greg Newell" <gnewell@EN.COM> writes:
>>List,
>>	Recently I wrote for advice on the selction of hammers for an
>>1885 Steinway upright.  I want to thank all of you who responded.  I
>>have chosen the Ronson hammers.  I was really taken aback at the
>>price.  They were only $150 or so and that was prebored!!  Wow! What
>>a difference in the prices I've paid to other lately.  I'll let you
>>know how they worked out.
>>						Greg Newell
>>Greg and Mary Ellen Newell
>>Greg's Piano Forte`
>>Lakewood, Ohio 44107
>>gnewell@en.com
Dear Ralph and list,
	I thank you for your tips with these hammers. I am trying to
go with the closest thing to the original hammers that I can find.
When I called Ronson I asked about the heat used in the cauls for
glueing.  They confirmed a mild heat used but nothing significant as
to be detrimental to the felt. Well, at least not as much as todays
hammers. If anyone would like to chime in with more tips on how to
treat these hammers ... I'm all ears!!!!   Thanks,
			Greg Newell
Greg and Mary Ellen Newell
Greg's Piano Forte`
Lakewood, Ohio 44107