Dampp-Chaser threads

Tim Keenan & Rebecca Counts tkeenan@kermode.net
Sun, 08 Mar 1998 21:35:24 -0800

Rob, Greg, and List:

I have not made a statistically valid, replicated study, so this is
anecdotal only. Before moving to near-coastal BC, I lived in Southern
Ontario.  RH in summer is *often* above 80%.  Indoors, in winter, it is
often below 20%, because it is being raised 40 degrees C or so (about 85
degrees F.) from the outside temperature.  In older upright pianos in
particular (Heintzman, Bell, Martin-Orme, Henry Herbert, Gourlay--1910 to
1935 vintage (maybe because of fewer/thicker pinblock laminations?) there
is often a discernible difference between mid-summer and mid-winter pin
torque.  In several cases where the instruments were in otherwise
tolerable mechanical condition, but the pin torque was marginal in
winter, there was enough of an improvement with installation of a D-C
system to put off repinning, at least for a few years.

Rob--I'm a prairie boy, and I know about the climate in Edmonton. I am
not too surprised that you would not see such a difference there. I think
that the *amplitude* of humidity fluctuations contributes to loose pins
more than absolute dryness does.  I think the illustration in the new D-C
promo video is pretty good. Swelling of the pinblock by high summer
humidity could conceivably cause some crushing of the wood cells at the
pin/wood interface, and this would leave the pins that much looser at the
dry end of the cycle.

Tim Keenan
Noteworthy Piano Service
Terrace, B.C.