Dampp-Chaser threads

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 08:20:05 -0800

Hi Susan et al,

At 06:41 PM 3/9/98 -0800, you wrote:
>At 11:28 AM 3/9/98 -0600, Don wrote:
>>Hi Greg and Mary et al,
>>
>>One very useful comment was made about 2 years ago on the listserv.
>>Cigarette smoke travels in a room at 44 feet per second. I see *no* reason
>>why water vapour should *not* do likewise.
>
>Hi, Don!
>
>At the risk of sounding pretentious, this seems a _very good_ time to
>point out that just because something shows up on a list, it doesn't
>mean you should chuck your common sense into the closet and lock it away.

Oh **NO** now I have to get my old calculus texts out to try and defend
someone else's statement. This will *not* be very successful as I *flunked*
that course!

>Picture: You are in a large room, such as a concert hall, 44 feet long.
>Someone lights a cigarette on stage (heaven forbid) and you are sitting
>in the back row. _One second_ later you smell it ... he hasn't even
>blown the match out yet, you can see the initial puff of smoke as he exhales,
>about 1.5 feet across (if you have binoculars), yet you can smell it?

I might not be able to smell it, but I *could* measure it! (provided with
an accurate enough measuring device)

>nosebolts, (and possibly try to rust the strings!?) most would nestle there

Rust so the *experts* have said does not start unless humdity levels are
above 60%, but perhaps these are the same ones who *blow smoke*?  LOL

>above the keybed. I believe that if we were talking about the heat
>of the dehumidifiers, in the soundboard area, it probably would hardly
>affect the action at all. Wood is a pretty good insulator.

Wood is not really a good insulator but it does exhibit very good thermal
drag which is a different kettle of tomatoes!

>If we were talking about water vapor, I think it would concentrate under the
>board, and then cool and disperse fairly evenly through the room, which we
>assume would breathe at least a little. (Even a tightly weatherized house
>breathes once or twice an hour, doesn't it? Or does it?

for an R 2000 home 7 air changes per hour are specified. Other homes tend
to have much more frequent air changes than that.

>In the mild
>Northwest our houses are probably a lot more leaky.) My feeling is that by
>the time the water was evenly spread in the room, it would be at a small
>enough concentration not to affect the action _much_ ... maybe a little. I
>see no reason it would
>affect the action more than it would affect everything else in the room.
It has
>a fairly long path to follow to get into the action cavity.

The reason the effects are *not* felt by the action is the relatively *low*
humidity output from the dc system, this is why in previous posts I
mentioned using the dc humidistat to control a 5 gallon room type
humidifier for grand piano installations. (In uprights I use plastic on the
backs, though perhaps I should use asbestoes???? LOLOLOL)

>Susan Kline

Regards,
"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"
drose@dlcwest.com