strict temperature effects

james payne jlpayne@netw.com
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 08:02:14 -0800

Can anyone help me with a little research project I am pursuing? I am
trying to figure out the effect of temperature changes on the pitch of a
piano. We know that changing the temperature of the air will normally
change its relative humidity, hence the moisture content of the soundboard,
and hence pitch. My question is, if relative humidity were kept constant so
that no soundboard changes occurred, what happens to the pitch of a piano
when its temperature is raised? Does it go sharp, or flat, or not change?
I’d be happy to hear about a) any speculations or theories; b) any
empirical data or experiences; c) anything written on the subject. Thanks.
Jim Payne, RPT Sandpoint, Idaho: jlpayne@netw.com