mineral oil

Howard S. Rosen hsrosen@emi.net
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 19:41:52 -0500

Hi Jim,

I read your post in the archives re: your disapproval for mineral oil in
piano work. Mixed with naptha, this solution is outstanding for tight
action centers and has never produced the slightest hint of verdigris in
the pianos I have serviced and followed up on for as much as 10 years. How
can you tell that a tech used mineral oil in a piano 20 years before you?
If you do see signs of verdigris, how do you connect it to mineral mixed
with naptha? I believe , Jim, that you are mistaken about this one. If you
mix 8:1 mineral oil to naptha and keep it in your trunk, you will find it
inexpensive,  and simple to deal with (just suck up a portion in a plastic
squeaze bottle). Apply it liberally to the centers in a 5 second sweeping
motion from bass to treble, work the left pedal (on a vertical),  or work
the hammers on a grand, and watch that sluggishness disappear in minutes. I
believe that this treatment is *extremely* effective and is in no way
connected with verdigris.

What is your alternative to treating sluggish action centers? Alcohol and
water is very effective (so I've heard), but that requires drying time, or
else a return visit which is even worse. Please send me a duplicate reply
privately as I am not currently on the list. I Always enjoy chatting with
you.

Howard S. Rosen, RPT
Boynton Beach, Florida