Weighty Problem

Gregory Torres Tunapiana@adisfwb.com
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 00:11:51 -0800

Dear Lunytuner,

How about weighting the keys? I think there is an article in the Journal
somewhere or maybe one of the resident list experts could shed more light on
the subject???

I have thought about it myself and have been asked the same question from
some of my clients. I think there used to be or might still be available
sets of weights that you can screw onto the top of the keys just behind the
key buttons, thus increasing the down weight. You can adjust by sliding the
weights forward or backward to achieve the desired resistance. I have never
done this to a whole set but I and other techs have used this technique for
helping keys return in cheaper pianos where the absence of key weights
causes this problem. Any body else?

Regards,
Greg Torres