naptha, etc.

Howard S. Rosen hsrosen@emi.net
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 07:34:57 -0500

Hi Jim,

First I want to be sure of my own terminology. I am not sure about naptha
and mineral spirits being the same. I *think* they are different and I am
hoping that you will clear this point up for me.

>>I am of the opinion that just putting a lubricant on an action center is
>>treating the symptom and not the problem,

On the contrary, the important ingredient is the Naptha, which displaces
the moisture (water) in the center. This is really treating the problem not
just the symptom. The small amount of mineral oil is just a little added
plus to give some lubrication and help the situation. As a matter of fact,
the naptha alone will free up the tight center that is caused by excessive
moisture.

>>My preference for moisture problems is alcohol/water followed by
>>silicone/naptha.  As of late I have found CPL to provide excellent
results on
>>actions where disuse is the problem rather than moisture

Unless I am mistaken, there seems to be a contradiction here. If you use
silicone/naptha, why not mineral oil/naptha? The silicone, like the oil, is
a lubricant, (mineral oil is much cheaper) which you said is not the
suspected culprit for the possible formation of the verdigris that you
sometimes find. You do suspect the other ingredient. You said mineral
spirits, which leads me back to the beginning. Is mineral spirits the same
as naptha?????? I don't know, but be assured that the formula I use a lot
is similar to yours...Naptha/mineral oil. May I suggest that if you already
use the silicone formula , that you try the much cheaper formula that I
like.

Too bad you will not be in Providence. I was looking forward to seeing you
again. Best regards!

Howard S. Rosen, RPT
Boynton Beach, Florida