Weighty Problem

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 09:36:48 -0600

I had the same request from a good player in the same situation.  This may
sound weird, but it worked great.  Yamaha sells/sold clips that were to be
attached to the hammer shanks to weight the action.  You could also clip
them on the catcher shank for less of an effect.  I bought the clips (VERY
expensive for what they were) and they had VERY little effect.  (not enough
for what he wanted)  I was carefully weighing notes and comparing.  I then
went to Radio Shack and bought two spools of the heaviest solder they had.
I wrapped different lengths of it around a catcher shank and got the weight
he was looking for.  I then took it off, measured it's length, cut 87 more
to length, put a glue line on the shank and wrapped them on.  The glue was
to prevent clicking, etc., later.  It has been about four years since I did
that and the guy (finished college now) still loves it.  My memory is not
so good, but I seem to remember getting 2-3 grams more weight.  I was
concerned about the weight affecting repetition, but it did not.  Try it!
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net