naptha, (Caution: Chemistry) -- Question

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@nau.edu
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 12:43:40 -0700

Tim Keenan & Rebecca Counts wrote:
<Major super snip>

> For those of you who hate organic chemistry, or who already knew all
> this, my apologies (of course, you probably stopped reading before now).

I find this very interesting. I'm glad to see such new type of
discussion presented on the list.

I was wondering, how does acetone and lacquer thinner fit into this? Are
these in the same family as well? Acetone is particularly volatile, but
is one of my favorite solvents.

Also- In your second post you briefly mentioned Protek as your favorite
"snake oil". Seriously, to what were you refering? I was always under
the impression that Protek was made from "synthetic polymers", whatever
that means. (Another one of those terms for which no-one seems to have a
solid definition for). If not, is the formula used in Proteck something
that one could brew from available over-the-counter ingredients?

Rob Goodale, RPT