Wippen support springs and action geometry

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 15:04:56 -0500

Recently I worked on a 20 yr old Baldwin L.
Having previously lightened and graduated the hammer
weight achieving an average 40 gr BW the owner was
pleased. After many months I convinced her to change
over to the spring assisted whippen. My promotion of
this was driven by the tremendous amount of lead in
the fronts of the keys.

I releaded the keys as outlined in David Stanwood's
springs. She is amazed at the ease of playing now.

It's interesting how things change when one removes
three pounds of lead from the keys.

I'm sure she will want the action lighter as years go by
and I will be able to accomodate her in few hours.

This was the first spring assisted action change and I
know there will be more. I am grateful to Dave Stanwood
for his research and showing us how easy it is to get
a grand action to work properly.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)