Juice du Jour (Lubricants for Action Centers)

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 13:03:24 -0500

Hey Jim, Howard, and Others!

Let's try to get this straight ... or shall we try to get even more
confused now?

I'm trying to sort out a tangle of threads here.  We have, for the purposes
of freeing up sluggish actions centers:

*Alcohol and water, to shrink the bushings.  My understanding is that the
alcohol helps the water get into the wool fibers.  What kind of alcohol
works best?  Then this mixture has to be driven out of the bushings, be
this by evaporation, or ...

*Naptha, with silicone or mineral oil, supposedly to drive out the water.

*CLP/CPL or whatever that stuff is called available from PianoTek.

Now ... has anyone tried using a wetting agent in place of the alcohol?  A
friend was telling me that someone he knew had fabulous luck with stuff
they use in textile mills for shrinking the bushings.  Would PhotoFlo (a
wetting agent for photographic film) have the same effect -- or is there
something in there the bushings are better off without?

FYI -- PhotoFlo has the following ingredients in addition to water:
p-tertiary-octylphenoxy polyethyl alcohol, propylene glycol.

ZR!  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net