"Damp Chasers-n-Piano Covers"

Greg Newell gnewell@EN.COM
Thu, 12 Mar 98 21:33:05

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 08:07:55 EST, Daleboy wrote:

>Greetings List!
>       I ran across a question from any earlier post that got me to thinking.
>The question posed was.......aren't the hum. control systems more effective in
>uprights than in grands??......of course these aren't the exact words but ya
>get the drift.
>I have used the control systems in many pianos, uprights and grands and have
>often wondered if the control systems in grands wouldn't be made more
>effective by the use of some type of cover that extends all the way to the
>floor. Uprights in their design are somewhat of an enclosed container being
>somewhat less affected by air movement from fan forced or incidental air
>currents. Granted most of the movement of warm/dry or warm/moist air from the
>control system moves upward from the units into the cavity of the pianos. It
>would seem that grands would be more suseptible to fluctuations in
>effectiveness due to air currents and would stand to benefit to a large degree
>from the use of a cover to make more of an enclosure.
>        I've heard lots about beefing up the control systems in the
>past.....not too much about using enclosures. Please share your experiences.
>Looking forward to your posts!
>Regards,
>
>Dale Whitehead, RPT
>Franklin Piano Restorations

Dale and list,
	I was the one who posted the question about DC systems
effectiveness in grand pianos.  You make and interesting point.  Of
course the action cavity still would not be addressed..  Consider
that the grand could have a mylar cover under the belly area similar
to the installation for a steinway vertical.
					Greg Newell
Greg and Mary Ellen Newell
Greg's Piano Forte`
Lakewood, Ohio 44107