Improving Upright Dynamics & Repetition

DGPEAKE DGPEAKE@aol.com
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 22:34:25 EST

<<
 I have been experimenting with finding 'minimum let off distance', 'minimum
 back check distance', etc. with mixed results.  So rather than continue my
 trial and error methods to determine abstract notions such as 'minimum'
 etc, my question to the list is:

 * What regulation adjustments do you consider important to work on for
 maximizing upright performance, and

 * How do you in practice determine the optimum setting for such an
adjustment.

 Appreciate any comments, or suggested reading material etc. on this topic.

 Regards,
 John Woodrow
 Sydney, Australia

Specs for regulation is only to get you in the ballpark.  If they are
available, set it to specs and see by moving them a bit will improve the
regulation.  Keep in mind the wear and tear on the parts because you will have
to modify the regulation along with it.  There is no reason to believe one
regulation step is the most important. Each step affects another, so look at
the regulation as a total concept.

For a fast regulation, here is what I do and I can do it without specs.  Using
samples,  go through the lost motion, then letoff, and see if you have plenty
of escapement of the jack relationship to the hammer butt felt.  If this is
not very present,  move the hammer rail closer to the strings (you can do this
by propping it with a rubber mute) and go through the samples again.  When you
are satisfied glue and shim the hammer rail.  Proceed with lost motion, then
letoff, keydip, key level (if they are very uneven, do the leveling first),
backchecks, and dampers.   Of course, tune, then collect $$$.

It is always a good idea to memorize the spec ratios for what most pianos will
regulate at.  1/8" for letoff, 5/8" for backchecks, 1 3/4 to 1 7/8" for hammer
strike distance, 1/2" keyheight, sharps 3/8" above whites.  Once you know
these specs, you should be able to regulate any action without the use of
written specs.

Hope this helps.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, Or