Addendum to Weighty Problem

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 23:25:12 EST

<<  It's very possible that the competition piano that I refered to, could
have been out of regulation enough that it was difficult to play. >>

This is the forum in which it is proper to be candid.  You are most likely
correct about this, especially if it was a Teflon action.  Any number of times
I have had people ask me to make their action "heavier" so that they can learn
to play on a "heavy" action.  This is a perplexing request.

The figures you cite are well within the normal range.  See my previous post
and any others who suggest a longer blow distance and minimum after touch.
I'll bet that the touch weight of the piano in question was a good 85 grams or
more.  Because it is a Steinway, people accept it as a standard in and of
itself.  Too many people are afraid to try to make any corrections to the
"king" of all pianos.

If anything, the student who had the difficulty should understand that the
piano he had the trouble with was not within normal tolerences.  If the
counter remark is, "But it was a STEINWAY from XYZ Pianos!" (implying that
there could not possibly be anything WRONG with it), it must be made gently
known that not every expectation is always fulfilled.  Let the customer be
assured that you can maintain the piano that is being used presently to the
best of all possible standards and that certain things can be done to change
the way it sounds and feels but that you can also only go so far before more
is being asked from the piano than it can deliver.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin