HT's

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 07:30:23 +0000

Hi John,
     This logic of yours makes perfect sense.  Even most music played by
advanced pianists was written during the common practice period prior to
1900 which suggests a form of well temperament.  Virtually all classical
period works were written in keys of four sharps or four flats or less.
(I'm sure someone will probably find an exception, please let me know
what work it is).  This switches around with Chopin and other romantic
composers along with increased chromaticism.  (With Chopin, the most
placid works tend to be composed for keys with a high number of sharps
or flats). This creates a problem in choosing a suitable temperament for
everything.
-Mike Jorgensen RPT